Business Licensing and Development Approvals

Business Licensing

A business licence is required by anyone intending to carry out business, trade or a home-based occupation within Turner Valley.

Business Licence Application forms may be downloaded from the link provided, and are also available in fillable form (download and open in an Adobe program to use the fillable feature). Hard copies are also available at the municipal office.

Completed application forms and associated fees must be submitted in-person at the municipal office, or by sending a cheque for payment.  We do not accept credit card payments.

Businesses operating in Turner Valley may be listed in the online Business Directory if interest is indicated at the time of application or renewal.

Business Licences approved in either Turner Valley or Black Diamond are valid in both towns.

Additional licences may be required for some operations. Please see the links below for more information on licensing requirements:

Development Approvals

All new commercial/industrial construction requires development and building permits. Major renovations typically require building permits. If you are changing the use of the building/space you are moving into, development permits are often required.

A commercial occupancy permit is required for buildings in which any occupation, trade, profession or craft are occurring and are the primary reason for occupying a building or portion thereof.All home occupations require a permit.

Fees vary depending on the type of permit. Plan ahead to avoid delays by acquiring all relevant municipal permits prior to operation.

Visit our Permits page for more information.