One of the fastest growing economic sectors in the Calgary Region is the professional, scientific and technical services sector which represents about 4.6% of Turner Valley’s labour force.
Primary occupations in this sector are:
- Legal services
- Accounting, tax preparation, bookkeeping and payroll services
- Architectural, engineering and related services
- Specialized design services
- Computer systems design and related services
- Management, scientific and technical consulting services
- Scientific research and development services
- Advertising and related services
More broadly within an economy that is increasingly services-focused, Alberta’s economic growth is driving demand for professionals with expertise in:
- Information technology and management
- Management consulting
- Health care
- Government services
Professional services tend to be able to locate more freely than other more traditional elements of the economy. The global economy, broadband infrastructure and an increasing societal norm for decentralized work increasingly means professional firms can provide services on a global basis while living anywhere.
Those who provide services tend to seek lifestyle-focused communities with access to key infrastructure (road and airport network, broadband) and skilled labour.
With its lifestyle focus and easy access to the greater Calgary Region, Turner Valley is an amenable location for independent or small consulting, design, and computer system firm service providers.